Smile Line (Nasolabial Folds) Fillers
Nasolabial fold filler can be used to lift and treat these folds, which occur with ageing and volume loss in the cheek area. Nasolabial folds are the lines from the lower nose corner to the corner of the mouth which make the face appear more aged
How long it takes
Approximate treatment time is 30–40 minutes.
Return to work
Approximately 1 hour after treatment.
Approximately 24–72 hours after treatment.
How long it lasts
Approximately 6 months after treatment.
Filler injections will make the area look smoother and younger, with less of a demarcation between the cheeks and the lower face.
Reversible dermal fillers are safe and well-tolerated, with great results. For nasolabial folds dermal filler with a larger particle size or lifting capability is useful, but in older patients with thinner skin, a smoother filler may be required.
Biostimulators are also an excellent choice for the nasolabial fold.
Pain relief during treatment
A numbing cream may be applied to the area prior to the nasolabial fold filler treatment (45 minutes prior is ideal) Glad wrap may be used over the numbing cream to increase its effect. There is also local anaesthetic in the dermal filler.
If a cannula is used, a local anaesthetic is used prior to the cannula being introduced into the skin. Ice may also be used to decrease pain and to reduce the risk of bruising.
A dental block with anaesthetic to completely numb the nasolabial folds is provided as an option. Although this isn’t ideal as it may distort the shape of the nasolabial. Nitrous oxide (happy gas) is also available for patients to use.
What happens during the treatment?
The area will be cleaned with alcohol. Ice will be applied to the area briefly before treatment Dr Natasha will inject using a very fine needle. Then pressure with gauze will be applied. If a cannula is used, a small injection of local anaesthetic is injected into the skin and then a fine needle makes a small hole in the skin where the cannula is inserted.
Do I have to pay for my consultation?
A £50 no-refundable deposit is required and can be used toward either the face to face consultation OR the treatment on the day.
- Dr Natasha will give a consultation, discuss and advise all available options with the client prior to the treatment.
- A thorough medical history will be discussed before each treatment is carried out.
- A discussion will take place at the consultation, as to the look and which treatment the client requires.
Once the client fully understands what’s involved with the treatment:
- A consent form is then signed,
- Pre-treatment photos are taken.
If the client is happy to proceed, then the treatment will go ahead.
Side effects with dermal fillers in the nasolabial folds:
Bruising occurs in a significant number of cases. Swelling in the injection area will occur. This will last for approx 48 hours.
What to expect after the nasolabial fold dermal filler treatment?
The effect of the nasolabial fold filler will be obvious and immediate.
There may be redness and swelling, and red dots at the injection sites. Bruising may occur. If a cannula is used, bruising is less common.
Most of the swelling from the dermal filler will have resolved by 2-3 days after the procedure. There may be a small amount of swelling for even 2-4 weeks after the procedure. Bruising will last 7-8 days.
How long will the treatment last?
The answer to this is very individual and depends on the patient’s anatomy, metabolism, the dose, the placement, the product etc. With the dermal filler that we use, the protocol is following the initial treatment, schedule a second after 6 months, a third after another 6 months and then schedule yearly treatments.
Post Procedure Advice
We take aftercare very seriously. We highly recommend that the client follows the below recommendations after treatment:
- Do not Smoke for at least 24-36 hours (Smoking is not recommended post-procedure)
- No makeup for 4 hours
- No heavy exercise that day
- No acid face products for 24 hours
- Avoid using any make-up or skincare products/spray tan/direct sunlight, sun exposure and do not use tanning beds.
- Avoid touching or massaging the injected area, unless absolutely necessary.
- Avoid chewing gum and kissing.
- Avoid any dental appointments, facial appointments and chemical treatments for 4 weeks post-procedure
- Avoid excessive heat – swimming pools, sauna, steam rooms, hot showers for at least 48 hours post-procedure
- Paracetamol is advised to patients for post-procedure discomfort (Ibuprofen should be avoided)